Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Shea's College Checklist

My first ECNL event in Phoenix was a blast! It was amazing to see all of the small details, moving parts and months of preparation come together to complete the event. It was also a humbling experience for me to work on the other side of the line and see just how much goes into making those events a special experience for each girl. As players, we don’t realize the hours, the planning and the details that go into making an event of that size run smoothly.

I had the opportunity to work with a lot of different parts of the event, really giving me a taste of everything. I loved seeing some of my ideas come to life with the help of an amazing staff. I worked with social media, operations, set-up & break down, college hospitality and The Zone staff throughout the event. Things didn’t always go as planned, but it was a great learning opportunity for me to see how everyone worked together to find a solution so that the experience for each player was never compromised.

As I was cruising throughout the event in my golf cart (I’m an expert driver I might add, although my co-workers may say otherwise), I couldn’t help but notice just how many college coaches were on the sidelines. It is truly amazing for the girls to have the opportunity to be in front of these coaches because of the platform provided by the ECNL. And seeing these coaches, I couldn’t help but look back on my own decision to play college soccer and how tough it really was to make my final decision. 

I remember being 15 and traveling the country, looking at fields, attending games and assessing facilities in an attempt to make a decision that wouldn’t come to life for another 3 years. They asked me what number I’d want on the back of my jersey and what I’d want to study. They lured me in with a shiny nameplate, an incredible offer and told me that I would be the one to make history for their program.

All of these things were nice, but there are more important aspects when making the college decision. Factors that are more difficult to recognize and are often overshadowed by all the glam and promised success.

I was just a skinny, fast girl who played on a team from Kansas. At the time, ECNL had just began, and playing in front of college coaches was only just beginning for my generation. But I remember the first steps I took onto each college campus and the long nights after, wrestling with the decision of where I would spend the next 4 years of my life. Bottom line, it’s a lot of pressure for a teenage girl who isn’t thinking that far in advance. I could hardly decide what I wanted to wear to school everyday, much less decide what college I wanted to attend 3 years in advance. But that’s the name of the game and if you resist the system, you may miss out on your dream school.

“Shea’s 5 Things To Know When Choosing a College” 

1. Take as many visits as possible
This was possibly the very thing that gave me the most peace about my decision. Thankfully I had parents who were able to give me the opportunity to see all the universities on my radar. They believed that it was important for me to see every school before making a decision to prevent any uncertainty or regret. I took over 10 college visits, which allowed me to compare schools and find the best fit for me.

2. Take a notebook and USE IT!
My dad made me do this, but it ended up being a great tool for me to compare schools and document everything from each visit. I took my purple spiral notebook to each school and noted my experience and thoughts in 5 categories (School, Academics, Soccer, Coaches, Facilities). Here are some examples of things I thought about for each category:
  • School - Did I like the city and location of the school? How was the layout of the university (spread out or condensed)? Did they have cool traditions and opportunities off the soccer field?
  • Academics - Did they have a good variety of majors? How did their programs rank among other schools? What kind of academic support was available for student athletes?
  • Soccer - Did I like their style of play? Where did they see me fitting into the program? What was their history of success? Was this a place that would help me develop and get to the next level?
  • Coaches - How long had they been there/how long did they plan on being there? What was my first impression of them? Did they seem genuinely dedicated to my development?
  • Facilities - How did they look? Were these places that would enhance my experience and help my development?
3. Choose the school for the school 
If you’ve read any of my other blog posts you know I have experienced multiple injuries. If there is one thing I have learned, it’s that your sport can be taken away from you in an instant. Therefore, your decision cannot be based solely off of the soccer aspect. I can’t tell you how many of my friends suffered an injury or battled for playing time and when they didn’t have the soccer part they were miserable with their college decision. So choose a school for much more than the sport. Find a place that you will love no matter what happens during your career and I promise you it will be the best decision you make.

4. Challenge yourself
No matter where you go to college you will be challenged and forced to adapt to the new environment. It’s important to assess what exactly it is you are looking to gain from this experience. If you are looking for guaranteed playing time then your decision may vary rather than if you were choosing a school that will push you to reach the next level. For me, I wanted to see just how good I could get. I wanted a program that had a history of success, but had not yet reached the ultimate goal (Winning a National Championship). I showed up on campus expecting to start and contribute all that I could to the program. But you will quickly learn, everyone is just as good. You will be challenged to find a way to set yourself apart from the rest. So challenge yourself, don’t be afraid of failure and not being the best right off the bat. It will be tough, but I promise the possibilities are endless for the ones that recognize this and are willing to put themselves in a challenging environment.

5. Don’t rush into anything
Last but not least…take time to make this decision. I know you may think you have it all figured out, but wait on it. Let it sit and take in all the different aspects of each school. It will come down to 2 schools and from there you’ll just know and something will just feel right. For me it happened on a bus after a basketball game my junior year of high school. We had just upset the best team in the state and I realized I wanted to be apart of a program that may have seemed like an underdog, but had the ability to rise to the top. And from there, I just knew. I know you can’t hold out forever, but the right school for you, the one that values you as an individual, will wait.

There is such a crazy mix of emotions when making the decision to play college soccer. I am thankful women have the opportunities they do to play at the collegiate level and the amazing experience it provides each player. If you are a parent I’ll leave you with this…let this be a time to let your daughter be independent. Be the first person to step in when they need help, but let them figure it out. Ask the questions that need to be asked, but allow them to be in control of their future. If you are a player…don’t stress, this is the beginning of the rest of your career and you will find the place for you in the end! This is an exciting time, so among the stress and the pressure, ENJOY THE PROCESS.

As for an update on my adventures, while in PHX I hiked Squaw Peak and expanded my coffee palette with a variety of Starbuck’s orders each morning. This week I hope to explore Carytown and find a good birthday present for my host-sister! Tune in next week to see what I am thankful for and my Thanksgiving travel adventures!


And no I did not purchase my ‘Richmond is for Lovers’ t-shirt…again I saw it in the airport, but I feel like it’s lame to buy it at the airport…way too touristy.  Like always, I’ll keep you posted! 

2 comments:

  1. Shea you are an inspiration! This is just what I needed to help my daughter follow in your footsteps. Good luck as you continue your career, and best wishes behind the scenes with the ECNL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shea, you are simply an amazing young lady, athlete, and leader. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Your charisma shines through in this personal and insightful post. All players who hope to improve their game, or play at the next level, benefit from seeing you as a positive role model and the information you shared here. Wishing you the best...can't wait for the FC Kansas City season to open!

    ReplyDelete

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com