Thursday, November 12, 2015

Playing with Fire

Three Things that Fuel My Fire

1. The Memories
I remember it like it was yesterday, the final soccer game of my high school career, the Missouri Class 3 State Championship Game. With seconds ticking down in overtime, my outside back steps up to take a goal kick that would exhaust the clock and force the game to be decided at the spot. 13 seconds separated us from the 5 kicks that would decide our fate. But we never made it that far. Instead, the ball found its way to the other end, coming off of my foot and into the back of the net with :01 frozen on the scoreboard. It is still the most incredible, dramatic and exciting sport’s moment of my athletic career.

You never forget those moments, not the ball coming off of my foot or the seconds before. But it’s the moments AFTER that stick with you for years to come. You remember each teammate joining the pile, one after another, further cutting off your source of air. You remember the moments after when your coach embraces you, eyes full of tears, knowing you both had given everything in hopes of getting to this very moment. You don’t forget standing there with your teammates in shock and in pure joy waiting to hoist that trophy in the air. You never forget those memories. I play soccer for those memories. I play for those incredible moments in sports when what was once thought to be impossible is somehow made possible.

2. The Platform
It’s hard to forget the first child you truly touch. Mine was Riley. I met Riley at the Texas A&M Soccer camp a few years back. She never said much, she wasn’t the most skilled or the most aggressive, but there was just something about her. She believed in me and she never had to say it, you could just see it in her eyes. The following season, Riley traveled over 4 hours to see one of my games. After the game ended, I saw Riley’s little face light up when I saw her through the crowd of people. She ran to me and held her hands out, ready to do our handshake we had created at camp. Then we took a picture and a few months later, I met her grandmother after a different game. She told me that Riley watches every single minute of every single game. 

Then she handed me an envelope, in it was a note and the picture we had taken. The note was thanking me for the inspiration I had been to this women’s granddaughter and for being the person that I was, taking the time to give this child something to believe in. But little did they know they were giving me what I needed to believe in. They gave me a purpose and a drive beyond what already motivated me to be great. So while I thought I was just touching her life, she was really the one touching mine. I play soccer for the opportunity it gives me to pave the way for the next generation of female soccer players. I play for the little girls who are just looking for someone to believe in. And I play soccer for the platform it has given me to touch and be touched by the people I meet along the way.  

3. The People
I can’t even begin to name the people who have gotten me to this point in my career. Each adding value to my game and to my character in their own specialized way. Whether it was pushing me to do another rep, breaking down my film, listening to one (of my many) meltdowns, staying after practice to shoot, sitting with me in the doctor’s office awaiting another surgery, or just believing in me in times I didn’t even believe in myself, there were so many people there that kept me in the game and got me to where I am today. I play for the coaches who believed and who continue to believe in my dreams. I play for the teammates who were willing to work and be part of teams who gave me the platform to move forward in my career. I play for the parents who have done everything in their power to give me just the chance to be something great. I play for the family who supports me and loves me even through my failures. I play for the fans that watch just wanting to feel apart of something bigger than themselves. I play for the little girls who want to be just like me and look to my game to see that it is possible to get there. 

I am so excited for the launch of our new campaign Fuel Your Fire. I think its important for everyone to take a step back and think about why they do what they do? It might change the way you use your platform or it might refuel your love for whatever your passion may be. Either way I think this campaign is a great opportunity for our players to take a look at what “fuels their fire” and motivates them to be great. Realizing the incredible opportunity you have and the purpose of your play, may be the very thing that sets you apart. If you are playing for a greater purpose then it will push you to train harder and value every practice and every game. You can always be better and you can always do more. I think this campaign will give players some more tools they can take with them to improve both their game and character!

As for my RVA adventures, this weekend was full of new experiences. I took a little day trip to Williamsburg and may or may not have gone only for the outlet mall J. However, I did eat at Pierce’s BBQ by complete chance. I’m not very picky about my barbeque, but I am very loyal to my KC BBQ…that being said my tummy still gives Pierce's a good review. On Sunday, I saw “The Newsies” musical at the Altria theatre and it was amazing to say the least. I think they could have used my ukulele talents in the orchestra, but I guess it was still pretty good.

Groupie or Nah?
I know this is y’all’s favorite part of the blog and after extreme anticipation, I am excited to announce, I did see a  “Richmond is for Lovers” t-shirt in the Atlanta airport J…but I didn’t buy it for reasons I cannot even explain. That being said, I keep seeing all these “RVA” bumper stickers…and I’m wondering how long I actually have to live here before I can buy one and not just look like a ‘groupie’. Comment your thoughts below!

We left for Phoenix this week and I am so excited to for my first event with the ECNL! At this event I will be in charge of making the ECNL Photo Booth come to life. I will also have other duties including social media, assisting with some of the operations behind the event and just learning how it all works! Tune in next week to hear all about my adventures at #ECNLPHX!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com