Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Shea Takes VA

Hey y’all!  My name is Shea Groom and I play professional soccer for FC Kansas City. I am so excited about the launch of this new blog, and the opportunity to give back to the beautiful game through working with the Elite Clubs National League. I believe that everyone has an important story to tell, and this is mine.  Thank you for tagging along in this journey with me!

I grew up playing soccer in Kansas City with KCFC (Kansas City Futbol Club), where my team competed in the ECNL upon its establishment. My team had the honor of ending our youth careers at the top of the table with a U18 ECNL National Championship. There’s no greater feeling than winning a championship with some of your best friends, while playing the sport that you love. As competitors, I think we all live for that feeling when all the hard work, the pain, the hours of dedication and the countless sacrifices made finally come together to reach the ultimate goal, a championship. It really is an unforgettable feeling that lasts a lifetime.

I went on to play 4 years of collegiate soccer at Texas A&M University, where I was a part of a talented group that reached many milestones.  During my career we won 3 conference championships, 2 conference tournaments and made it to the NCAA Women’s College Cup for the first time in program history.

In January of this year, my childhood dream became a reality when I was drafted back home to play at the professional level for FC Kansas City.  I recently wrapped up my first season in the NWSL, playing aside various US Women National Team players and finishing as National Champions for the second consecutive season.

It was an absolutely amazing year, but as my first season came to a close, I found myself in a place of wanting more. Not only was I craving the opportunity to become a better soccer player, I also found myself wanting more for this sport and for the girls who play it. I realized the unique insight and experience I can share, with a keen focus on the growth and development of women’s soccer. I realized I had a platform and a voice to make a difference; I just had to find a place that would help me use it. So that brought me here, 17 hours east of Liberty, Missouri to the city of Richmond, Virginia with the ECNL.

I wanted to join the ECNL team because this is where it all began for me. It’s the place where I began to realize just how much I loved this game. A place where those dreams I formed the first time I laced up my boots started to become reality. It’s the place that gave me opportunity, exposure and a future in this game. I know the opportunities I have been given were in large part because I played in the Elite Clubs National League and I couldn’t be more excited to now be working with them to grow this game I am so passionate about.

So here I am, just a small town Missouri girl who loves the sport of soccer and is doing everything in her power to give back to the game that gave so much to HER. I look forward to sharing some of my past experiences and the opportunities I will encounter during this offseason. 

I had a lot of fun on my 17-hour car ride, stopping in Saint Louis and Lexington, Kentucky before finally arriving in Richmond. So far I am loving all of the trees and this fall weather. While I am here, I’d like to learn how to play lacrosse, purchase a “Richmond is for Lovers” t-shirt, eat from some good food trucks, attend a festival……Oh, and play as much soccer as possible!

I hope to gain a lot of experience from working with the ECNL through contributing to new ideas to grow the game, as well as assisting with the operations of each ECNL National Event. This is an amazing time in my life when I have the ability and freedom to try new things, and learn new tools that extend far beyond the pitch. I can’t wait to take full advantage of this opportunity with the ECNL!

Tune in next Wednesday to hear all about my first week on the job and my expectations for working on the other side of the line at ECNL Phoenix!


3 comments:

  1. I'd appreciate it if you gave us back VA. I'm not sure who allowed you to take it, but I will not stand for it, not one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH SHEA!!! I can't wait until you blog some more!

    Good luck for the game tonight!
    -Blue Bell girl!:)

    ReplyDelete

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com