Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Shea Leaves VA


Four months ago, I drove 1,071 miles from Liberty, MO to Richmond, VA. Little did I know I would be in for one of the best experiences of my life. The ECNL has given me much more than just another section on my resume. Over the last few months, I learned more about myself than I could have ever expected. And that's what it's all about, right? Using these experiences that we are presented with to grow and discover the person that we are supposed to be. While I am thankful for the work experience I gained, I am more excited about the friendships made and the personal growth I have experienced during my time in Richmond.

When handed an experience, we are always told to enjoy it and soak it all in. While it sounds cheesy, I have grown to understand that there is a lot of truth to those silly and repetitive sayings. So here's 3 pieces of advice I have gained through my ECNL experience, and words I hope will empower you through the opportunities you may be presented with in the future.

1. Never shy away from an unexpected opportunity

Sometimes it is hard to push outside our comfort zones and try new things. But I promise you, if you choose to do so, it will be a life-changing experience. When I came to Richmond, I did not know one person. I lived with a family I did not know and I showed up at an office for a job I really knew nothing about. It was terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time. I learned that I am much more than just a soccer player. I learned I have more talents outside my abilities on the field. I made great friends, who I will remain close with for years down the road. So never let the fear of the unknown make you shy away from an opportunity. Take all the experiences and opportunities you can, because I promise you will be better because of them.

2. Reflect on your experience before, during and after

I am big on using a journal, but just taking moments to reflect works just the same if you aren't the writing type. Often times we get caught up in the stress and craziness of life. It's important to take time, even if it's just a few moments, to reflect on where you are and what you have accomplished. Looking back I always think I could have done it more, but it's pretty amazing the opportunity I had and what I was willing to do with it. I traveled to new places, I hiked for the first time, I learned about an organization, I lived in a new city, I contributed to a team, I made new friends and I relished every moment of the experience that I could. So amidst the stress, the worry and the craziness, don't forget to take time to realize what you are doing and ENJOY IT!

3. Let your experiences carry far past the experience itself

Sometimes new opportunities last for weeks or even years, but make sure they serve a purpose beyond the experience itself. If its a soccer camp, a summer job or a family vacation, make sure you take that experience and the things you learned to the next place in your life. My experience with the ECNL gave me confidence, friendships and a drive that I will take with me as I start my second season as a professional soccer player. I had the opportunity to witness the beginning of soccer careers for many young girls. I remember being one of those girls, playing to get noticed by the coaches on the sidelines. The experience reminded me of where I came from and refueled my passion to keep fighting toward my own goals in this sport. So remember the significance of each experience and understand it will carry on far past the actual experience itself.

So what's next for this girl? Hard to say when I haven't been in one spot for more than 2 weeks at a time. But the next season of the NWSL is just around the corner! I will be starting my second season with FC Kansas City, 2-time NWSL champions. This year's team is shaping up to look a lot different than years before, but I am confident that Blues fans are in for a big treat this season. To follow all things NWSL, check out their website and other social media platforms at nwslsoccer.com!

I know I have been off the grid for the last few weeks, between driving home 17 hours to KC, training and repacking for new adventures, I've had little time to update!

Last week, I was given another incredible opportunity. I traveled west to Carson, CA to train with the Under 23 Women's National Team. From the time I was 14, I have had various opportunities to train at the National Team level and if there is one thing I've learned, it's that it never gets old. Suiting up in your country's colors and wearing the crest is such an honor at any level. During this camp we trained at the Stub Hub center, we traveled to San Diego to watch the full Women's National Team and we had the opportunity to play the full Irish National Team at the end of the week. It was a great week of training.

Next stop for this traveling girl is Houston, TX for my last event with the ECNL. Texas is like my second home and I could not be more excited to end my time with the ECNL in one of my favorite places. Hope you all are ready for another Fuel Your Fire Skills Challenge and I can't wait to see y'all at #ECNLTX!

While my time with the ECNL is coming to a pause for now, it will not be the last you will hear from me.  Tune in to Stoppage Time with Shea Groom weekly, to follow me as I embark on season two as a pro.  I will continue to provide entertainment through my trials and tribulations, and provide positive words of wisdom to inspire the next wave of Amazing Young Women.

Share something positive that has happened to you in 2016 in the comment section below.  Also, still waiting on some song suggestions for the Ukulele.  :)  


2 comments:

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com