Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Shea Talks NCAA

It’s my favorite time of the year…NCAA Women’s Soccer Tournament time, where 64 teams battle it out in hopes of being crowned National Champions. It’s what every team sets out to accomplish at the beginning of each season. It’s the fuel behind their training, their discipline and their goals. It is an entire season worth of work, put to the ultimate test, where it is anyone’s game. It’s a time where rankings go out the window and the game isn’t won until the FINAL whistle is blown.

Last year I was a part of a program who made it to the College Cup for the first time in program history. It was truly an amazing accomplishment. Not just for our team but for all the players and staff members who came before us and laid the foundation of the Texas A&M program. The games were not always pretty, but we found a way to win and make our way to Boca Raton, FL for what would be my final game as a collegiate soccer player. While it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, it was still an amazing experience and a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life.

With this year’s College Cup just around the corner, I thought I would share my own predictions. This year’s tournament was one for the books. Many top programs didn’t even make the tournament, and most of the top teams that did secure a spot are not a part of the final group traveling to Cary, North Carolina this week. Florida State, one of two #1 seeds remaining in the tournament, looks to defend their title against Duke in the first semifinal. On the other side of the bracket, Rutgers, who took down one of the tournament’s top teams in Virginia, earning the programs first College Cup appearance, will be looking to make history as they take on the other #1 seed, Penn State for the chance to clinch a spot in the championship.

Shea’s Predictions:

Semifinal #1: Duke vs. Florida State
I am always one for the underdog and that’s where I am going with this match up. In their ACC match-up earlier this year, Duke was one of the few teams that could match FSU’s offensive firepower. While the game ended in a draw, Duke maintained control and had the better of the chances. Florida State has found their post-season rhythm, which is tough to beat, but I think Duke’s gut check against Stanford this past weekend will be what they need to push past the crowd favorite. I’m going with the Duke Blue Devils for this one!

Semifinal #2: Rutgers vs. Penn State
Last year I was a fortunate to be a part of a team that made the College Cup for the first time. While it was an exciting moment for the history of our program, our focus and preparation were slightly affected. I hope the same does not happen for Rutgers, as I have witnessed firsthand how experience can overshadow talent in the final moments of the tournament. I am not convinced that Rutgers can withstand the power behind their experienced rival, and for that reason I am going with the Penn State Nittany Lions. The Nittany Lions have held strong in the post-season and after being so close to winning it all the past few years, I think they will find a way to dig deep and earn a shot at hoisting the trophy.  


National Championship
I am going with Penn State. This game is all about who wants it more and my gut is leaning towards the Nittany Lions.  They have been deep in the tournament consistently over the last 10 years, but they have not been able to get past the final hurdle. They brought back a lot of special players, and have held strong this post season with several convincing wins against top ranked teams. Rarely do teams make their first College Cup appearance and win the National Championship in the same year, I mean look at Florida State, it took them 4 years to finally do it. Penn State has been there, but they are still hunting for that first championship. I think the excitement and experience is what will carry them to the trophy ceremony.

All that being said, the tournament is a funny thing. There are all kinds of factors beyond statistics and individual players. It’s a magical time where passion and grit are revealed and even the most unlikely team finds a way to win. While these are my predictions, I am sure these games will bring a lot of drama and unexpected endings.

As for my own adventures, this past week I got the chance to travel home to Kansas City! During my time at home I traveled to watch my dad’s team compete in the State Championship football game. My dad has been there for all of my big moments and I was so thankful I could be there for his. As players we are asked to sacrifice a lot and we often forget how much our parents also sacrifice so that we can play the sport we love. Watching my dad coach is one of my favorite things to do. He loves the game and his passion for coaching reflects in the way his players compete and execute his game plan. On paper they should not have won the game, but it was a special team and they believed down to their very core. When an entire team buys into the plan and competes for one another, an ordinary team becomes a championship team. And that’s exactly what my dad’s team did. I was so glad I got to be there to see the grin on his face after the game…truly a moment I will remember forever.
 
I also ate a lot of turkey and surprised my best friend on her birthday! I got to spend time with my dog Bullet and workout with some other pro athletes in KC! All together it was a great time at home, but I am ready to get back to work here in RVA! 

Next stop, Greensboro for our ECNL Composite Event. Looking forward to spending this week in North Carolina, but first we had to stop for some Chicken and Waffles J

Tune in next week to see my Christmas List and the top soccer gifts you should put on yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com