Wednesday, November 4, 2015

With a Head of Steam, Chasing HER dream

From the very first time I laced up my boots, I knew I loved the game. The first time I put on my college jersey, I knew I had a future in it. The first time I put on my professional kit, I knew I wanted more. And the first time I wore the crest at the youth level for the United States, I knew I never wanted to take it off. While playing professionally was always the childhood dream, it was never the end destination. Playing on the world stage, possibly the most difficult but rewarding accomplishment in this sport, has always been the ultimate goal for me. Playing with and against the best players in the world, winning at the highest level and representing an entire population of people who stand behind you. I want that.


Not for me, but for the people who built me. I want to do it for the people who believed, invested, who pushed and clawed for me to be able to do what I love. I want to do it for the little girl who is fighting and just trying to find herself. For the girl who has struggled and suffered, but found what she needed to get through it all on a pitch. I was that girl. And I believed in the girl’s wearing that jersey. They gave me a future in this sport. They gave me a dream worthy of chasing.  And I want to do the same, for the next girl.

Welcome to week 3, with me!! Thanks again for following along in my journey this off-season. I have finally settled in to my new home in RVA, finding a routine and getting more comfortable in this new environment. While I have found myself in a new place, I still have the same goals both on and off the field.

Off the field, I wanted a new experience. I wanted to help grow the sport and use my platform and unique experiences to do it. The ECNL has given me that opportunity. I am slowly getting the hang of how everything works within this organization and I am so thankful my co-workers have been so patient and helpful during this transition. This is an experience where I will learn new skills that I will be able to take with me for the rest of my life. It is preparing me for a life after soccer and equipping me with the experience to continue to grow the game after I’m done playing it. I think that’s an extremely important thing to realize as an athlete, soccer won’t last forever. That doesn’t mean I’m not as dedicated or passionate or putting in everything I have. Because I am, but I am also taking time to develop in areas off the field.  I want more tools in my belt so I will be able to hang up the cleats in peace when the time comes. 

On the field, I am training as much as I can. After breaking my foot and essentially losing the second half of my rookie year, now healthy, I am chomping at the bit for next season. In the games leading up to the injury, I felt like I was on the brink of something great. I was nearing my opportunity to make a name in this sport and potentially be called to the national stage. But like many things in life, it didn’t go as planned. After 3 foot surgeries, a broken foot, a small knee repair, a broken face and countless other small injuries throughout my career, I know the feeling. Sitting in that doctor’s office, awaiting the diagnosis. Watching as they sit down and begin to concoct the perfect way to carefully break the bad news. And then the feeling you get when they tell you how long and how many games you’ll miss. It’s devastating, heart-breaking and exhausting. I remember the days following, when the heavy weight of disappointment overwhelms you and the idea of coming back seems too far off to even fathom.

So how does one come back from that? I’ll tell you it was not on my own. I have been blessed with amazing athletic trainers, coaches, teammates, friends and family that got me through each of those difficult times.  While my competitive fire sparked a hunger to come back greater each time, I wouldn’t have gotten there without the people who supported me along the way. While the initial disappointment seems fatal, use it. Become a better player, a better student of the game and let it fuel you to take your game to the next level.

It’s a unique time, where you can step away from the game and see it from a different perspective. You have a rare opportunity to build from scratch and develop in more ways than you could have without it. Let others take care of the doubting and disbelief. If you want to get back and be better, you control that. My injuries have been the most defining moments of my journey thus far. Some of my greatest accomplishments have come post-injury. It’s the reason I am so passionate about the game every single time I have the opportunity to play it. It causes you to value each minute you play and every hard, exhausting training session you complete, because it can be taken away in an instant.

So here I am once again, awaiting another season after being injured the one before, and I am hungrier than ever. I’ve had the opportunity to train with the local boy’s academy team here in Richmond. It’s been a great experience so far, challenging me to play in a stronger and quicker environment. I’ve also been active in the gym, getting stronger, testing my toughness and focusing in on technique to improve my agility. Can’t wait to see the progress made and all the hard work pay off on the field in the 2016 season.

As for my RVA adventures, this weekend was one for the books! Woke up at 1:30AM and drove 3 hours to hike 8 miles to Mcafee’s Knob at sunrise. It was an incredible experience and I’m hooked. I guess it makes sense that I’ve never hiked before considering the limited options in both Missouri and Texas.

On Sunday, my host family gave me a gift…a teal colored ukulele. And I’ve been practicing ever since. Videos to come soon! I also had the opportunity to watch my Royals win the World Series for the first time in 30 years. There was a lot of yelling, crying, jumping on couches and nervously eating an assortment of desserts during the series, but it was well worth it. What an amazing accomplishment for the city of Kansas City and for the entire Royals organization.

As for the weeks to come…I plan on hiking during my trip to Phoenix next week, trying some new restaurants in Richmond (comment your suggestions below), learning to play a song on the ole Uke (comment your suggestions below) and still looking for my “Richmond is for Lovers” t-shirt….clearly I’ve been trying extremely hard, but I’ll keep you posted J


That’s all for this week! Tune in next Wednesday to hear all about my first event in Phoenix! As always, thanks for tagging along and be happy…after all, the Royals are World Series champs!   

1 comment:

  1. You've got to learn La Vie en Rose on ukulele. It's fairly simple but so pretty. Depending on how your voice is lol

    ReplyDelete

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com