Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Food, Family, Fun…Week One is Done!

Happy Hump Day friends! It’s been an incredible first week in Richmond, filled with embroidered towels, Smithfield ham, a costume party, counting t-shirts, soccer and lots and lots of Nike gear! But we will get to that.

In less than one week’s time I made the decision to pack my things and travel to Richmond, Virginia for four months. Not knowing anyone, I was connected with a possible host family that offered to house me during my time here in “RVA”. Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever lived with a host family…and I know hit the jackpot. But it’s weird, right?? Waltzing into someone’s home, eating their food, sleeping in their rooms and watching their TV.  I don’t think I had time to process or even second-guess the situation.

While the idea of being placed in an environment with people I do not know made me nervous, it also gave me a sense of adventure.  The potential to break out of my shell and share this experience with a new family was exhilarating.  I believe that is something everyone should seek out in their lifetime, and as much as they can. Ways to push the boundaries and step outside comfort zones. In just seven short days, my RVA host family has made this dream a reality, and I cannot wait to see what else is in store during this adventure. 

I remember getting in my car and just driving, not knowing what I got myself into, but that Richmond was the destination.  And man I am lucky!  My host family has made this transition much easier than I could have ever imagined. They instantly accepted me as one of their own, and I can honestly say that I already feel like a part of the family.  Amazing does not even sum them up, I mean who gives you personally embroidered towels??  And that was only Day 2!   

This week has been filled with getting to know each other, cooking lessons, late night baseball (watching my Royals make it to the World Series!!!), and sharing our mutual love for ice cream!

Last Saturday my RVA family hosted their annual Halloween party, mandatory costumes.  I loved meeting all of their close friends, but I felt pretty lame out of costume. So now I am on a mission to find the best costume for Halloween. I am now taking any and all possible costume suggestions. Please help me out!  I do not want to be the child that embarrasses the family.  So far the top contenders are, Nicki Minaj, a bag of Eminems (yes the rapper….get it?), or a piece of pizza.

In addition to my wardrobe dilemma, I learned a lot of great recipes and I got my first taste of Smithfield ham. Needless to say after Saturday, I feel fully capable of catering a wedding if necessary.

Being a newly adopted host-child, I have learned a lot about all of my new host-siblings and host-parents during our first week together. One day last week, I spent an entire evening with my host-sister, who is in 6th grade, ordering pizza and having a “Say Yes To The Dress” marathon. Who knew watching women spend money on a wedding dress the price of a car could be so entertaining?

My new sister loves gymnastics, is a mini Rachel Ray and is more mature than I may ever be. We’re still working on my floor routine for Rio 2016. My host-brother might as well be a ghost, as he is on the soccer team, involved in the school play, class president and in the band. Needless to say he’s pretty average J. Although he has not been home too much, we tend to spend most nights sharing late dinners and talking soccer.

My host parents are incredible and would do anything to make sure I am comfortable during my stay. My host-mom’s cooking may be just enough to make me stay forever and my host-dad is the corny jokester who always gives you a good laugh. Needless to say, it’s been a jam-packed week of good times with my new family!  (Mom & Dad don’t be jealous) 

On Sunday I got to explore a little bit of downtown Richmond. I walked around the State Capitol and took a lot of artsy pictures of myself, because did you really do it if you don’t post it on Instagram?? J I’ve started to create my “Richmond Bucket List”, including things like go to the beach, hike part of the Appalachian Trail, visit Monticello and take the train to D.C.

As for the job, well obviously my co-workers are absolutely amazing and no they don’t edit this blog before it posts or anything J. You are getting 100% Shea!  But honestly, after only one week I have already learned so much. The fast-paced learning process has pushed me to be creative and adapt quickly.  Two very important tools you need to help reach your goals.

I've foreseen myself growing and developing a great deal throughout this experience, as my colleagues will continue to challenge me and push me. This week my counting skills were put to the test as I created a donation inventory catalog that logs all of the items that are in stock. In a nutshell, I counted a lot of t-shirts and folded a lot of Nike soccer socks, but believe me it is more difficult than it sounds.

I’ve been working on a lot of new projects and my co-workers have given me a lot of responsibility.  This position gives me the freedom to express my opinion with the staff and contribute to the mission of the league.

This is turning out to be a better fit for me than I could have ever expected. Oh, and I’ve been showered in an endless amount of Nike gear, so this athletic gear hoarder is in heaven!

Overall, I have really enjoyed my first week in Richmond. I had the opportunity to play some good soccer with the Richmond Strikers, dragged myself to the gym to people watch, participated in touristy activities, ate a lot of good food and just settled into my new home! Still looking for my Richmond is for Lovers t-shirt, but I’ll keep you posted.

Tune in next Wednesday to see what fuels my fire and the goals I have for my future both on and off the field! Have a great rest of the week, oh and go Royals!

Also, don’t forget to post your great costume ideas and possible RVA bucket list suggestions in the comment box below!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazingyoungwomen.com © 2014. Do not copy this site. Designed by Justinwoodie.com